Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Standing in Lines (working)

Sometimes I lose track of time when I am standing in a line, it has a sense of mind numbing monotony. I hate standing in lines, and I am convinced that they are some sinister plot to take our lives away by some evil super villain. Did you know that the average human stands in line for four years of our natural life? I am forty-one now which means that I have spent over two years of my life standing in line.

Another forty seconds of my life sapped by this saboteur of life just so I can have a half decent cup of coffee.

The woman directly in front of me is talking rather loudly on the phone, something about a printer she bought online talking too long to … blah .. blah .. blah. I very quickly lose interest in what she is saying. She is tapping her left foot as she is talking, I think she too is catching on to the fact that her life is being gently taken away by this line. As a matter of fact I am sure she has caught on to this fact because as I watch she starts absently keeping rhythm with her finger on the back of the cell phone.

A minute twenty-two seconds, making the total two minutes and two seconds. If I were to pull out my cell phone I could give you the statistics as to what percent of my forty some-odd-years these two minutes and two seconds comprises.

The guy behind the counter has the standard absent look in his eyes of someone who has forked his life over to corporate, minimum wage machine. He is wearing the green apron that signifies his human bondage. He is just meandering through life, I wonder what percentage of his life he has spent with a glaze over his eyes handing coffee a piping three million degrees to customer after customer.

Another fifty seconds.

The woman in front of my has finally paused in her constant chattering to order some confusing mixture of coffee, sugar, and whatever goes into the terror filled creations which have come to dictate our lives.

No comments: