Thursday, April 16, 2009

Remembering Grandpa

When I was just a kid
I would watch my grandpa smoke
Sitting in his high backed chair
Blowing through the haze

I would watch my grandpa smoke
Out beside their house
Blowing through the haze
As he mowed the lawn

Out beside their house
Where my grandpa use to smoke
As he mowed the lawn
Sits unfilled by his presence

Where my grandpa use to smoke
Now empty like a shell
Sits unfilled by his presence
He can't smoke anymore

Now empty like a shell
My grandpa sits in a white hospital bed
He can't smoke anymore
He can hardly do anything at all

My grandpa sits in a white hospital bed
Grandma is always there beside him
He can hardly do anything at all
So we brush his hair

Grandma is always there beside him
Even at the end he is still my Grandpa
So we brush his hair
Because he does not have very long

Even in the end he’s is still my grandpa
Nothing can change that
Because he does not have very long
I want to hear him one last time

Nothing can change that
Though I know it will not happen
I want to hear him speak one last time
So I can remember his voice

Though I know it will not happen
I want my grandpa to get better
So I can remember his voice
The doctors say that won't happen

I want my grandpa to get better

No comments: